Today, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) submitted comments to the Georgia State Election Board on proposed amendments to the Rules of the State Election Board. The amendments are meant to “clarify and define the required language to be included in the directions on absentee ballots.” LDF urges the State Election Board to modify the proposed amendments in several ways:
- They should clarify both the uniform instructions for absentee ballots and the directions that appear on the absentee ballots.
- The uniform instructions should fully inform voters who request an absentee ballot how to vote in person.
- The uniform instructions should inform voters how to use the two envelopes provided and what to do if they do not have both envelopes.
- The proposed amendments should be clarified to prevent unnecessary disputes and litigation during recounts.
- The absentee ballot directions can be improved to minimize the risk of voter confusion.
Read LDF’s letter to the Georgia State Election Board here.