The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks an experienced, dynamic and innovative Social Media Strategist to implement tactics and lead the strategic vision for social and digital media across all platforms, for LDF and the Thurgood Marshall Institute (TMI). The Social Media Strategist will report to the Director of Digital Strategy.
This position will be remote until June 2021. Beginning June 2021, any candidate selected should be prepared to report to work in the office location assigned to this position.
- Develop platform-specific social media strategies;
- Plan, manage and execute LDF and the TMI’s social media strategy across all platforms;
- Grow LDF and TMI’s presence and content creatively across all social media channels on a day- to-day basis, including, but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn;
- Analyze trends and respond to breaking news by conceptualizing and creating content to amplify LDF and TMI’s messages online;
- Track, report and interpret data analytics on a monthly basis and provide informed recommendations for new strategies and tactics to promote LDF and educate the public;
- Monitor social media for coverage of issues affecting LDF and TMI and craft appropriate messaging;
- Engage in active social listening and engagement with LDF’s digital audiences;
- Monitor developments in social tools, applications, channels, design and strategy and provide recommendations to increase effective engagement;
- Work with cross-organizational teams and national coalition partners to develop joint strategies for social media campaigns. Maintain relationships with social media and digital campaign staffs of coalition partners;
- Conduct regular audits of LDF’s social media to inform strategic planning and short- and long-range goals; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- College degree or relevant experience;
- Minimum of 5 years of social media, online campaign, organizing or communications experience or a comparable mix of relevant experience;
- Commitment to the racial justice mission of LDF;
- Strong written and verbal skills, as well as the ability to make complex policy proposals and concepts accessible and compelling to a variety of audiences;
- Understand LDF’s mission, including issues of racial, social and economic justice and the ability to effectively communicate about those issues on all social media platforms;
- Experience managing high-profile social media accounts;
- Proven ability to implement creative social media campaigns that generate high audience engagement;
- Experience with Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Pay Per Click (PPC) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and similar strategies;
- Experience with using web and social analytics to improve performance;
- Knowledge of geo- and micro-targeting;
- Experience training others on social media platforms and best practices;
- Advanced understanding of Facebook and Google ads creation, segmenting and tracking;
- Strong knowledge of all social media platforms and best practices;
- Strong knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Acrobat Pro/Creative Cloud, video and web editing as well as animation. Knowledge of HTML, web standards (including accessibility standards) and Google Analytics a plus;
- Expert level proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Ability to work - in a high-pressure environment;
- Creative and able to envision, plan and implement long-term strategies and campaigns;
- Highly motivated, well organized and able to multi-task;
- Able to work well with a diverse range of people in a team-based environment within an organization; and
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and travel, as
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.