The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks an experienced Senior Communications Associate to help drive and support the Communications department activities internally and externally. In addition to working closely with the Director of Communications on media relations, the Communications Associate will also work with Legal Department on message development and the Development department on fundraising initiatives. The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to social and economic justice work and demonstrated experience with media strategy, social media, writing, media relations and project management.
• Edit press releases, media advisories, and press pitches;
• Draft speeches, talking points and message decks;
• Edit, conduct op-eds media placements to national and local publications;
• Write collateral materials, such as fact sheets, brochures and web content.
• Pitch content and spokespersons to media outlets;
• Understand how to frame complex legal issues to the public;
• Prep spokespersons as necessary.
• Assist attorneys with communications strategy and maintenance of case dockets;
• Assist the Director of Communications with comprehensive Board related reports.
• Assist Director of Communications with executing internal media trainings;
• Research and develop curriculum content;
• Assist with developing metric tools for training delivery.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• 4-year degree in either communications, political science, or pre-law or policy related field (required);
• Master’s degree in communications, public policy or related field (preferred);
• 6 to 8 years of communications experience, preferably with a non-profit organization or entity or writing experience in journalism;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups that help to drive the LDF mission;
• Experience with social media, knowledgeable about the latest platforms with a vision for how to maximize LDF’s social media presence;
• Knowledge and familiarity with a range of social and economic justice issues and comfort level promoting its ideals;
• Familiarity with media databases such as Vocus, Cision, Meltwater, etc.;
• Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office applications;
• Extremely detailed and organized;
• Flexible schedule, including ability to work some evenings and weekends, if needed;
• Additional duties as assigned.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.