The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the nation’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Since its founding under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall in 1940, LDF has been committed to transforming this nation’s promise of racial equity and justice into reality for all Americans.
LDF uses litigation, public policy advocacy, community organizing and strategic communications programs to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair criminal justice system.
LDF seeks a Policy & Research Associate to join its policy team to advance its reform work in the areas of criminal justice, education, economic justice, federal judicial and agency nominations, and voting rights.
The Policy & Research Associate will assist LDF’s policy staff with advancing LDF’s policy priorities at the federal, state, and local levels. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Researching policy and legislative reform strategies in LDF’s priority issue areas;
• Providing research and writing support to state and local policy work seeking election, criminal and juvenile justice, education, housing and economic justice reforms;
• Drafting policy statements, testimony, community toolkits and other resources;
• Conducting data analyses on racial disparities in sentencing, school discipline, and other areas to inform LDF’s advocacy, campaigns, and policy positions;
• Assisting LDF’s policy team with forming and staffing coalitions that work to advance policy reform, or to oppose laws and policies that will undermine reform; and
• Other duties as requested by LDF Policy Director, Deputy Policy Director and other senior management staff.
The ideal candidate for this position will be highly motivated, be committed to civil rights and racial justice, and possess:
• A Bachelor’s Degree;
• 3-5 years of policy or equivalent work experience;
• Outstanding research skills;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent analytical skills including comfort with analyzing complex issues and familiarity with interpreting data;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Excellent computer skills; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Westlaw, Lexis, Pacer, ECF and familiarity with database systems a plus;
• Strong initiative;
• An ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
• Well-developed interpersonal skills;
• Willingness to learn and develop new skills and expertise;
• Accuracy and attention to detail;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
• Ability to prioritize workload;
• Ability to complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner;
• Willingness to travel; and
• A driver’s license.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.