The Thurgood Marshall Institute (TMI) is a multidisciplinary center within the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Inc. (LDF). Launched in 2015, the Institute complements LDF’s traditional litigation strengths, by arming LDF with dedicated support for three critical capabilities in the fight for racial justice: research, targeted advocacy campaigns, and organizing. The Institute also houses LDF’s Archives—a collection of materials chronicling the legal history of the Civil Rights Movement. LDF’s Thurgood Marshall Institute seeks an intern to provide research, communications, and administrative support to the TMI team.
The TMI Intern will:
▪ Assist with TMI communications including social media planning and executing, updating the TMI website, and drafting public-facing materials;
▪ Provide administrative support to the TMI team as needed;
▪ Conduct research for TMI initiatives related to criminal and economic justice and education;
▪ Support the planning, logistics, and execution of all TMI events, including TMI "Labs" and public-facing events with external partners/stakeholders.
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of the nation’s premier civil rights legal advocacy organization. The ideal candidate must be a creative and forward-thinking problem solver who is eager to tackle an array of diverse duties in service of LDF’s racial justice advocacy mission. The ideal candidate will combine passion for policy, attention to detail, and a growth-oriented mindset.
▪ Currently enrolled at a four-year or two-year college;
▪ Strong attention to detail;
▪ Prior experience in government service, non-profit, or academia;
▪ Superior written and oral communications skills.
▪ Commitment to LDF’s mission;
▪ Collaborative and approachable in style;
▪ Self-confident, self-sufficient and self-directed.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.