The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks an experienced Information Technology (IT) Manager to manage the organization’s information systems and related business processes in our New York and Washington, D.C. offices. LDF contracts with an IT service provider to manage its network and system administration, and to provide other support. The IT Manager partners and interfaces with the IT service provider, provides oversight and accountability, and handles IT-related responsibilities not covered by the service contract. The IT Manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and works closely with department heads and other staff.
- Regular meetings with the COO and the IT service provider; liaison duties with third party vendors and subject matter experts (SMEs) for all internal systems related to IT which include AV, line of business (LoB) applications, server room HVAC/environmental control etc.; training of staff on general systems and being on-call for emergency response. The IT Manager will become a SME and provide first tier end user support in a few LoB applications.
- Manage the Help Desk Technician. Providing guidance, training, development, and support to grow talent and capacity of junior staff.
- Work with s service provider, managing LDF’s technology assets in an orderly, cost-effective, and strategic manner, including filtering incoming service request tickets and assuring the appropriate party (IT Manager, Help Desk Technician, IT service provider or third party) is addressing them; inventory; third party software selection, upgrades, trouble-shooting and license management;
- Work with the COO to draft a proposed budget and manage the approved budget;
- Master and assist with troubleshooting and providing training for specific LDF equipment, which includes audio/visual, telephone, smart phone, MiFis, security cameras and other security systems, copiers, printers, etc. Specifically:
- With the aim of ensuring productive, uninterrupted meetings, mastering, maintaining, providing training to others, and operating meeting communications technology, which include conference calling, Skype, video conferencing system, and other services;
- Administer LDF’s smart phone program (currently iPhones and some BYOD).
- Liaise with third party vendors (MIP accounting, Raiser’s Edge, Innova, etc.); ISPs; telephone (ShoreTel), cellular, and cloud services to move issues towards completion;
- Maintaining inventory of IT equipment, including work stations, laptops, telephones, smart phones, MiFis, etc.;
- Maintain updated vendor information and contact list, coordinating calls and training sessions;
- Provide technical support to LDF staff and assisting remote troubleshooting by service provider;
- Serve as central point of contact for technical issues requiring escalation;
- Work with departments to establish and implement protocols around data storage and management, such as, server folder structure, etc.;
- Provide and coordinate training for LDF staff per recommendation of senior management;
- Draft IT-related policies and protocols;
- Review reports and otherwise monitoring performance of outside contractors, including IT services provider;
- Recognize and communicate challenges, trends, and recurring issues to the COO and appropriate others, in a structured and concise manner;
- Accurately translate user requests to the COO, department heads, or appropriate third-party vendors;
- Collaborate and share information and ideas with other staff members and contractors;
- Effectively communicate instructions and technical matters to non-technical end-users;
- Website internal support, which include troubleshooting/problem solving, basic HTML, understanding nuances of WordPress administrative functions, CSS, version updates, identifying security breaches;
- At the direction of the COO, coordinate, implement, manage and assess, the security measures set by LDF senior management. Serve as project manager of the IT Risk Assessment Task Force.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as manager of an IT Department;
- A bachelor’s degree is required;
- Experience in IT infrastructure planning and development, project management, and policy development;
- Ability to prioritize and multitask at a high level;
- Experience working with and managing vendors and IT services providers on day-to-day matters, as well as longer term planning and implementation;
- Knowledge in Microsoft operating systems and productivity applications (Microsoft Office);
- Experience working within a ticketing system;
- Experience running, administering and implementing help desk services, multiple work sites, and remote access services desirable;
- Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products, with an emphasis on creatively developing new and affordable solutions for technology concerns;
- Good understanding and technical knowledge of current network and PC operating systems, hardware, and standards;
- Knowledge of business processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations desirable;
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language;
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed; attention to detail;
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment;
- Experience in non-profit work environment desirable;
- Ability to prioritize;
- Ability to remain composed under pressure.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are
committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race,
creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status,
age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.