The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
The Human Resources Coordinator will report to the Senior Director Human Resources/Administration and the Talent Development and Acquisition Manager. LDF needs a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized individual to support the HR department. This position provides administrative coordination in the areas of orientation, employee data updates, recruitment, and separations. The incumbent will work on invoicing and reconciliation of expenses to meet budget requirements.
- Administratively assist in the coordination of new hire orientation and onboarding process including taking hires from offer/background check approval to setting up new hire documents for orientation and entering all paperwork in HRIS.
- Facilitate the scheduling of onboarding with other departments to meet new hire adaptation to LDF.
- Coordinate separations of staff, interns and temps departure process, partner with IT on retrieving equipment and ensuring all LDF information has been returned;
- Assist with entering new hire data into HRIS set-up, ensuring all data fields are accurate, working with Total Rewards team in collecting new hire profile information to coordinate creation of employee files.
- Point person for HR ticketing system/HR email mailbox to respond to all employee’s inquiries and proactively researching questions or assigning to others on the team to ensure timely customer service;
- Support the recruiting team with coordinating candidate interviews, agency follow up and distribution of materials;
- Work with Talent Acquisition team and managers on pre-offer items such as reference check and background check. Ensure offer letter and employee information such as application/resumes are collected for new hire profiles in this process.
- Schedule all meetings including onboarding agenda, HR Team meetings working with Director on selecting topics for agenda;
- Coordinate all new hire training and compliance courses, track training information as well as schedule all training seminars;
- Maintain human capital data and benefit information files for employees, temps, and interns;
- Interact with health insurance broker and carriers regarding employee matters or questions;
- Assist Talent Development team with the performance review process. Getting performance notifications and merit review documentation tracked and filed;
- Utilize the Applicant Tracking system to track metrics for recruiting and provide recruiting data by pulling reports;
- Provide employee verification requests as a back-up to Tech Analyst
- Responsible for updating the external website and gathering data for staff page on LDF’s intranet and external website;
- Act as back-up to Talent Acquisition team in compliance with Return to Office and COVID procedures; Purchase special gifts for staff, based on employees’ life events
- Conduct research on HR-related matters;
- As needed draft correspondences such as memos, notifications, union emails, and offer letters;
- Train Human Resources personnel as temps, etc. in processes
- Provide ongoing feedback to HR leadership to improve HR processes;
- Assist with the day-to-day administrative operation of the HR department; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Talent Management and Acquisition
- Assist in improving employee life cycle, such as recruiting, time-to-hire, and retention;
- Work with HR team to aid on various projects including onboarding rebranding project, HRIS implementation process, DE&I initiative;
- Coordinate the maintaining and analysis of all survey data in MS Form or database to improve culture and engagement. Run reports and assist with presenting the results to leaders;
- Coordinate with Talent Development/Acquisition Manager on 30, 60 and 90 day after hire surveys and exit interviews for staff. Collect the data and work on analysis of the information. Make recommendations for improvements.
- College graduate or equivalent experience;
- Minimum 3+ years of Human Resources experience;
- Commitment to the racial justice mission of LDF;
- Experience in a fast-paced Human Resources dept. and knowledge of recruiting and onboarding staff;
- Superior organizational and prioritization skills, with a knack for process improvements, and efficiency;
- Proficient with or the ability to quickly learn HR data management, Human Resource Information System (HRIS), and similar computer applications; MS Forms
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment;
- Superior attention to detail;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently;
- Excellent Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project Mgmt. tools and Outlook skills;
- Problem-solve and identify issues and resolve in a timely manner;
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and communications skills;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and take initiative as needed;
- Knowledge of applicant tracking, or database system a plus.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
LDF offers a rich platform of benefits including medical (Empire), dental (Cigna), vision (NVA), flexible spending accounts (Flex Facts), transit/commuter plan, life insurance, AD&D, voluntary life & AD&D (UNUM), AFLAC, Employee Assistance Plan, and Health Advocate. As well as the many healthcare benefits, LDF offers a 403b plan with employer match, and a robust vacation, sick, and personal time program to ensure employees have a health work-life balance.
Please note that LDF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated and submit proof of vaccination prior to the commencement of employment unless they qualify for a reasonable accommodation for bona fide medical or religious reasons.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.