The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s leading civil and human rights legal organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks an experienced Executive Assistant to provide high level administrative support to the Thurgood Marshall Institute.
- Serve as administrative point person on all assigned matters, anticipating the supervisor’s or group’s needs and leading logistical arrangements and information handling;
- Use problem-solving skills, initiative, general research, inquiry, and follow-up to execute administrative tasks;
- Arrange all correspondence and communications for each individual supervisor on assigned matters, including directing inquiries to appropriate persons;
- Organize and coordinate meetings, including preparing and circulating agendas, reserving conference rooms, arranging catering, and communicating with participants, as appropriate;
- Confirm proper functionality of all presentation, video and audio equipment for meetings;
- Prepare and maintain each supervisor’s calendar (e., court dates, meetings, conference calls, travel);
- Greet and interact with visitors;
- Book travel for your supervisors and any consultants, clients, and others as needed. Provide travel information such as itineraries, confirmations, reservations and contact numbers;
- Responsible for the organization, maintenance, and control of files, hard copy and electronic;
- Create and maintain contact lists and databases (e., case contacts, meeting attendees, directories of cooperating attorney and non-attorneys);
- Responsible for the preparation and distribution of mass mailings, as needed;
- Input attorney time keeping records using the Timekeeping Database;
- Prepare and process expense reports for all supervisors using the Expense Database;
- Prepare and process invoices and credit card statements;
- Prepare and proofread all documents/correspondence including email;
- Prepare attorney lobbying reports and other forms (g., petty cash, check requisitions) for processing;
- Assist with document production, (e., scanning, copying; formatting);
- Providing word-processing support, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Must be highly motivated, exceedingly professional in demeanor, and have a commitment to civil rights and understanding of LDF as a legacy organization;
- Possess excellent administrative, organizational and time management skills;
- Possess excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and internet research skills;
- Demonstrate high level of executive and legal support;
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent attention to details;
- The ability to work in a high-paced environment;
- Flexibility with work schedule to meet the demands of a dynamic legal organization.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.