The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative–to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, policy advocacy, organizing, and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
Reporting to and in partnership with the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer (CCMO), the Director of Marketing and Brand will lead LDF’s Marketing and Brand Division. They will help define the scope and strategy for all marketing campaigns, partnerships and collaboration across the organization to create and implement an innovative marketing strategy to drive awareness of and engagement with LDF. The Director will serve as a part of the CCMO’s strategic team. They will also work with the Development team on events and special initiatives and with the Director of Digital Strategy on digital advertising and marketing opportunities.
This position will be remote until June 2021. Beginning June 2021, any candidate selected should be prepared to report to work in the office location assigned to this position.
- Develop and execute an innovative marketing strategy to grow awareness and perception of and engagement with LDF;
- Guide marketing campaign planning process from insight, brief, concept to creative execution;
- Oversee and lead potential rebranding for LDF, including management of vendors/agencies and all efforts with internal staff;
- Partner closely with Communications and Development teams to develop and deliver cohesive campaigns including advertising, events, digital and print;
- Serve as key liaison with external marketing and advertising partners, both paid and pro bono, leading campaign development from concept and strategy through to execution;
- Identify, cultivate and implement worthy brand partnerships;
- Collaborate with Social Media Manager to drive a social strategy that seamlessly blends brand content and marketing initiatives;
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Digital Strategy on a digital advertising strategy and a potential website redesign;
- Create and drive the LDF marketing calendar;
- Set campaign KPIs, track performance, and lead postmortem analysis;
- Manage all members of the Marketing and Brand Division, including graphic design, assisting in developing work plans for each member and assessing their performance on a regular basis;
- Drive the adoption of processes and standards, including LDF’s brand book, supporting marketing and brand best practices;
- Train, mentor, and onboard new department staff;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in marketing or advertising;
- A minimum of five years of experience in brand marketing, partnership management, creative/content, consumer insights, and/or innovation;
- Commitment to the racial justice mission of LDF;
- Knowledge and familiarity with a range of social and economic justice issues and comfort level promoting its ideals;
- Strong knowledge of creative and content production workflows for cross-functional projects, including digital, social media, print and events;
- Collaborative, communicative, and organized team player, able to balance long-term strategic projects with daily rapid-response requirements;
- Strong written and verbal skills, as well as the ability to make complex policy proposals and concepts accessible and compelling to a variety of audiences;
- Ability to think strategically and make innovative recommendations that drive LDF’s goals;
- Possess a positive attitude toward teamwork and be an advocate for collaboration;
- Strong managerial experience, including experience developing and mentoring a team;
- Extremely detailed, organized, and ability to multitask effectively under moments of time pressure;
- Past success executing complex cross-functional projects, working with a wide range of personalities and teams, and juggling multiple priorities at once.
- Flexible schedule, including ability to work some evenings and weekends, if needed;
- Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office applications.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.