The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks an experienced Director of Human Resources and Administration to supervise Human Resources Administration in the organization’s offices and assist the organization in developing and maintaining a dynamic and cohesive workforce with high performing and highly motivated staff at every position.
- Plan, develop, and direct the administration of human resource functions, including the recruitment and hiring of all LDF employees and interns, the evaluation, training and development of all LDF employees, administering LDF’s performance evaluation process, labor relations and the management of the collective bargaining process, the administration of benefits and workers compensation matters, succession planning and the analysis of and assistance with the development of employee salary levels;
- Review, develop, implement and provide information on LDF’s human resource policies and procedures through a manual and other means;
- Ensure organizational compliance with applicable human resources-related statues and regulations as well as LDF’s internal policies and procedures;
- Identify, evaluate and resolve human relations, work performance, employee morale and organizational productivity issues and pro-actively develop and direct the training of LDF employees on these matters;
- Maintain and keep current human resources records, including but not limited to the individual files of current and past LDF employees, benefits information and insurance coverage information;
- Prepare organization for and participate in collective bargaining negotiations as well as promote effective communications and relationships between management and unionized staff;
- Lead, manage and mentor the HR team;
- Establish LDF branding and implement HR efforts that effectively communicate and support LDF's mission and strategic vision;
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective;
- Conduct reference checks for high level positions;
- Oversee current HRIS tools and utilization, leading process improvement/selection and implementation to streamline business processes and maximize efficiency;
- Manage other HR related projects and tasks.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- College degree and/ or equivalent experience;
- 15+ years or more of substantial human resources management experience in a non-profit, government, or for-profit setting, such as a law firm;
- Comprehensive understanding of human resource principles, techniques and procedures as well as strategies to assess and resolve human resources issues;
- Significant experience with and/or knowledge of applicable human resource-related statutes and regulations such as the ADA, ADEA, COBRA, FMLA, FLSA, HIPAA, OSHA and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964;
- Proven ability to interact with all levels with comprehensive consultative, partnering, facilitating, and influencing/negotiating skills;
- Strong understanding of the interviewing process, benefits administration, payroll and other HR functions;
- Exceptional management skills, with a track record of delivering service excellence; with superior coaching and mentoring skills to provide timely coaching and feedback up, down and across the organization;
- Experience with leading complex and system-wide organizational change that is a result of an operating model transformation.
- Experience in creating and enhancing organizational culture through organizational effectiveness and development strategies that deliver higher levels of employee engagement, commitment and satisfaction;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as confident presentation and influencing skills;
- A commitment to innovation and creative thinking about how best to motivate and inspire a staff;
- Exceptional strategic planning skills, with the ability to anticipate and solve problems, and take advantage of opportunities, identifying better ways of doing business to ensure objectives are met in a complex operation with multiple objectives and points of view;
- Experience with implementing or proficient with using HRIS and ATS;
- Skilled in problem solving, judgement and decision-making;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work well under deadlines;
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and have the willingness to develop, organize and manage new projects and execute results;
- Self-motivated, confident and influential style coupled with integrity and flexibility. A humble, yet strong leader with high emotional intelligence and the ability to inspire and empower staff;
- Strong data-analysis skills; proven ability to use metrics and data to support critical thinking and improvement of the function;
- Commitment to LDF’s mission.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.