The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative — to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks an Administrative Assistant to provide a high level of administrative and technical support to the Policy Team.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.
Administrative Assistant Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as point person on all assigned matters; anticipating all the Policy Director’s, policy staff’s or group’s needs, leading logistical arrangements and distribution of information;
- Use problem solving skills, initiative, general research, inquiry, and follow-up to execute administrative tasks;
- Prepare and maintain attorney calendar (i.e., congressional hearings, briefings and meetings, conference calls, travel);
- Organize and coordinate meetings, including preparing and circulating agendas, reserving conference rooms, arranging catering, and communicating with participants, as appropriate;
- Arrange all correspondence and communications, including direct inquiries to appropriate persons;
- Assistance tracking progress of the team toward stated priorities/goals;
- Create and maintain contact lists and databases;
- Responsible for the preparation and distribution of mass mailings;
- Responsible for the preparation of expense reports;
- Prepare lobbying reports and other forms (e.g. petty cash, check requisitions) for processing;
- Draft correspondence for review and signature;
- Assist with document production (i.e. scanning, copying, formatting);
- Responsible for organization, maintenance and control of the files;
- Provide basic word processing support, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Responsible for travel arrangements;
- Responsible for the organization, maintenance and control of the filing; paper and electronic; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Administrative Office Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for assisting with the Fall Recruiting for the Summer program (distributing resumes, scheduling interviews etc.) and Fall/Spring interns;
- Responsible for coordination of all intern orientation paperwork with HR;
- Responsible for working with IT Manager to ensure computer and phone setup for new hires is completed before they start;
- Responsible for ordering office supplies; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent writing, telephone and communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Highly motivated;
- Possess excellent administrative, organizational and time management skills;
- Possess excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and internet research skills;
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Demonstrate superior executive and legal support skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- The ability to work in a high paced environment;
- A commitment to civil rights.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.