The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative–to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF seeks an experienced Administrative Assistant to provide high level administrative support to the Community Organizing Department. The Assistant will report to LDF’s Director of Community Organizing.
As of March 7, 2022, LDF transitioned to a hybrid work environment. Any candidate selected for this position should be prepared to work in the office location assigned at least two days per week.
- Serve as administrative point person on all assigned matters for Director of Community Organizing and other members of the Organizing team, anticipating the supervisor’s or team’s needs and leading logistical arrangements and information handling;
- Use problem-solving skills, initiative, general research, inquiry, and follow-up to execute administrative tasks;
- Arrange all correspondence and communications on assigned matters, including directing inquiries to appropriate persons;
- Organize and coordinate meetings, including preparing and circulating agendas, reserving conference rooms, arranging catering, and communicating with participants, as appropriate;
- Confirm proper functionality of all presentation, video and audio equipment for meetings;
- Prepare and maintain each supervisor’s calendar (e., conference dates, meetings, conference calls, travel);
- Greet and interact with visitors;
- Book travel for your supervisors and any consultants, clients, and others as needed. Provide travel information such as itineraries, confirmations, reservations and contact numbers;
- Responsible for the organization, maintenance, and control of files, hard copy and electronic;
- Assist with special projects that involve light research, writing, and proofreading documents;
- Provide project management assistance. Utilize project management systems and software to update activities, track progress against goals, and coordinate with staff;
- Organize and maintain efficient digital filing and organizational system for contracts, reports, memoranda, meeting materials and other documents;
- Process payment requests for operational costs and recurring payments;
- Create and maintain contact lists and databases (e., case contacts, meeting attendees, directories of partner organizations, etc.);
- Responsible for the preparation and distribution of mass mailings, as needed;
- Responsible for the maintenance of department page on LDF’s Intranet;
- Input organizers time keeping records using the Timekeeping Database;
- Prepare and process expense reports for all supervisors using the Expense Database;
- Prepare and process invoices and credit card statements;
- Prepare and proofread all documents/correspondence including monthly reports and email;
- Prepare organizers lobbying reports and other forms (g., petty cash, check requisitions) for processing;
- Assist with document production, (e., scanning, copying; formatting);
- Providing word-processing support, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel;
- Leading/managing big department wide projects including LDF/LDF sponsored conferences hosted by the organizing team, and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of Administrative Assistant or project management experience;
- Excellent writing, telephone, interpersonal, and communications skills;
- Highly motivated, exceedingly professional in demeanor;
- Commitment to the racial justice mission of LDF;
- Possess excellent administrative, organizational and time management skills;
- Possess excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and internet research skills;
- Demonstrate high level of executive and legal support;
- Excellent attention to details;
- The ability to work in a high-paced environment; and
- Flexibility with work schedule to meet the demands of a dynamic legal organization.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
LDF offers a rich platform of benefits including medical (Empire), dental (Cigna), vision (NVA), flexible spending accounts (Flex Facts), transit/commuter plan, life insurance, AD&D, voluntary life & AD&D (UNUM), AFLAC, Employee Assistance Plan, and Health Advocate. As well as the many healthcare benefits, LDF offers a 403b plan with employer match, and a robust vacation, sick, and personal time program to ensure employees have a healthy work-life balance.
Please note that LDF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to the commencement of employment, unless they qualify for a reasonable accommodation for bona fide medical or religious reasons.
* * * * *
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.