- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Support Us
Civil Rights and Race Relations in America and Their Impact on the Lives of African Americans
Sign up to receive email updates from LDF.
February 12, 2014
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) has been recognized as the finest civil rights law firm in American history. LDF is a non-profit corporation which assists African Americans and other people of color in securing their civil and constitutional rights through advocacy and the prosecution of lawsuits that challenge racial discrimination. Since its founding under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, LDF has been committed to transforming this nation’s promise of equality into reality for all Americans.
LDF seeks an experienced, creative and highly motivated attorney for the position of Special Counsel for Appellate and Supreme Court Advocacy to serve in either the New York or D.C. office. This position will report directly to LDF’s Director of Litigation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Lead Counsel in litigation of civil rights cases.
- Provide strategies, advise and develop LDF’s appellate and Supreme Court docket.
- Work collaboratively with LDF attorneys in all aspects of civil rights litigation, particularly strategic development and preparation of appellate and Supreme Court briefs and oral argument preparation,
- Manage appellate court and Supreme Court amicus brief strategy
- Effectively manage cooperating attorney relationships in complex Federal and State court civil rights cases.
- Collaborate with LDF’s Communications and Development Departments to ensure effective promotion of cases/campaigns, ensure maximum appropriate media exposure and coordinate advocacy tactics to compliment the litigation strategy.
- Update the President and Director-Counsel and Director of Litigation on significant legal developments in the federal courts
- Advise on priority and complex issues and resource requirements.
- Participate in public education activities to articulate LDF’s views to the public on a broad range of issues;
- Contribute to the building of a strong and productive team spirit, the creation of professional growth opportunities and the fostering of a work environment that encourages independent judgment and values self-starters.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a J.D degree and be admitted or eligible to waive into the New York or DC Bar;
- Have significant appellate litigation experience, including brief writing and oral arguments;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to racial justice and civil rights advocacy and litigation;
- Be a strategic thinker;
- Have federal court clerkship experience;
- Posses the ability to think creatively and to use non-litigation strategies to promote objectives;
- Be an excellent brief writer with exceptional analytical, writing, and speaking skills;.
- Possess demonstrated leadership skills, including experience managing and supervising attorneys and coordinating with both internal and external coalition partners.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter:
Email to: email@example.com
Monica Garcia, Director of Human Resources/Administration
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.