- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Support Us
Sign up to receive email updates from LDF.
Samuel L. Jackson asks, "What Would Your World Look Like Without LDF?"
April 28, 2015
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) seeks an experienced a Senior Paralegal to assist LDF attorneys with litigation, education, advocacy, and policy projects and activities.
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first African-American U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has always been transformative: to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, public policy advocacy and public education programs in the areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, monitor and update case files including pleadings, discovery materials, deposition transcripts and exhibits, hearing transcripts, pre-trial and trial exhibits and briefs.
- Search for and retrieve documents.
- Proofread correspondence, advocacy and education material, press releases, and website information.
- Cite-check, bluebook, quote-check, shepardize and proofread motions, briefs, and law review articles.
- File and serve court documents.
- Conduct Lexis, Westlaw, Concordance, other legal database research, and fact research, as directed.
- Gather and organize exhibits required for court filings, hearings, depositions, client meetings, and conferences.
- Coordinate with staff, court reporters, printers and vendors regarding transcription services, printing, scanning and copying of documents.
- Coordinate with attorneys, clients, the IT Department and vendors regarding the retrieval, processing, review and production of documents, including electronically stored information.
- Review production and case files for responsiveness in preparation for depositions, discovery responses, and briefs.
- Screen and organize requests for legal assistance.
- Coordinate attorney-client calls and visits.
- Organize materials for speaking engagements, seminars, symposia and conferences, and assist in the preparation of speeches for the same.
- Assist attorneys at hearings, oral arguments, depositions, and trials.
- Perform tasks such as filing, copying, scanning, indexing, and mailing of documents, as needed.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Paralegal Manager.
The ideal candidate shall be highly motivated, have a commitment to racial justice and civil rights, and possess:
- Experience with Federal Court Litigation and trial preparation experience
- 5 years paralegal or equivalent work experience
- College Degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills; Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Westlaw, Lexis, Pacer, ECF and familiarity with database systems a plus;
- Strong research, writing and analytical skills;
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills and expertise;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and with a team;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly-stressful environment;
- Ability to prioritize workload;
- Ability to complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner;
- Willingness to work overtime, including occasionally on weekends;
- Willingness to travel; and
- Driver’s License.
Salary commensurate with experience
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Monica Garcia, Director of Human Resources
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.
40 Rector Street, 5th Floor
New York, New York 10006
We seek to fill the position immediately.
The NAACP Legal Defense Fund is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.