- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Support Us
Brown at 60
- Welcome to the Brown at 60 observance
- Learn more about Brown v. Board of Education.
- Meet the legal minds behind Brown v Board of Education.
- Listen to Jack Greenberg and Dean Erwin Chemerinsky in their own words.
- Watch the impact of the Brown decision.
- Read more on:
- Attorney General Eric Holder's Speech Celebrating Brown
- Sherrilyn Ifill’s Brown at 60 Reading List.
- The Significance of the "Doll Test" in Brown v. Board of Education
- The Southern Manifesto and "Massive Resistance" to Brown
- Still Separate, Still Unequal: Leticia Smith-Evans Writes for Education Week on Legacy of Brown
- LDF in Education Week on "Echoes of Brown in School Discipline"
- Sherrilyn Ifill on the role of segregation and economic policy
- Exclusive essay from 2013 Pulitzer Prize winner Gilbert King
- Exclusive excerpt from 2013 Pulitzer Prize winner Gilbert King's "Devil in the Grove"
- Legal documents
Eighth Annual Forum on Women in Leadership to Feature Janai Nelson Along with Distinguished Panelists on Women's Role in Civil Rights Leadership
March 26, 2015
March 28, 2015
Christina Swarns to Moderate Benjamin Drummond Emancipation Day Celebration Featuring Renowned Scholars
April 16, 2015 (All day) - April 19, 2015 (All day)
"For those who are seeking to learn more about the case that changed America, this reading list offers a place to begin, from children's books to biographies to some of the most riveting non-fiction I have ever read.”
-- Sherrilyn Ifill
- Richard Kluger, Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality (1976)
- Jack Greenberg, Crusaders in the Courts: How a Dedicated Band of Lawyers Fought for the Civil Rights Revolution (1994)
- Constance Baker Motley, Equal Justice Under Law: An Autobiography (1999)
- Robert L. Carter & John Hope Franklin, A Matter of Law: A Memoir of Struggle in the Cause of Equal Rights (2005)
- Derrick Bell, Silent Covenants: Brown v. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform (2005)
- Leon Friedman (Editor), Brown v. Board of Education: The Landmark Oral Argument Before the Supreme Court
- Melba Patillo Beals, Warriors Don't Cry: A Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High School (2007)
- Charles Ogletree, All Deliberate Speed: Reflections on the First Half-Century of Brown v. Board of Education (2004)
- Beth Roy, Bitters in the Honey: Tales of Hope & Disappointment Across Divides of Race & Time (1999)
- Ruby Bridges, Through My Eyes (1999) (children's book)
- Davison Douglass, Jim Crow Moves North: The Battle Over Northern School Segregation 1865-1954 (2006)
- Rawn James Jr., Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall & the Struggle to End Segregation (2010)
- William Doyle, James Meredith & the Battle of Oxford, Mississippi 1962 (2003)
- Toni Morrison, Remember: The Journey to School Integration (2004)
- Bernard Schwartz, Swann's Way: The School Busing Case & the Supreme Court (1986)
- Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools (2012)
- John Charles Boger & Gary Orfield (Editors), School Resegregation: Must the South Turn Back? (2009)
Exclusive Excerpt from Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America, by Gilbert King, winner of the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction.