- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Support Us
Brown at 60
- Welcome to the Brown at 60 observance
- Learn more about Brown v. Board of Education.
- Meet the legal minds behind Brown v Board of Education.
- Listen to Jack Greenberg and Dean Erwin Chemerinsky in their own words.
- Watch the impact of the Brown decision.
- Read more on:
- Attorney General Eric Holder's Speech Celebrating Brown
- Sherrilyn Ifill’s Brown at 60 Reading List.
- The Significance of the "Doll Test" in Brown v. Board of Education
- The Southern Manifesto and "Massive Resistance" to Brown
- Still Separate, Still Unequal: Leticia Smith-Evans Writes for Education Week on Legacy of Brown
- LDF in Education Week on "Echoes of Brown in School Discipline"
- Sherrilyn Ifill on the role of segregation and economic policy
- Exclusive essay from 2013 Pulitzer Prize winner Gilbert King
- Exclusive excerpt from 2013 Pulitzer Prize winner Gilbert King's "Devil in the Grove"
- Legal documents
March 6, 2015 (All day) - March 7, 2015 (All day)
"For those who are seeking to learn more about the case that changed America, this reading list offers a place to begin, from children's books to biographies to some of the most riveting non-fiction I have ever read.”
-- Sherrilyn Ifill
- Richard Kluger, Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality (1976)
- Jack Greenberg, Crusaders in the Courts: How a Dedicated Band of Lawyers Fought for the Civil Rights Revolution (1994)
- Constance Baker Motley, Equal Justice Under Law: An Autobiography (1999)
- Robert L. Carter & John Hope Franklin, A Matter of Law: A Memoir of Struggle in the Cause of Equal Rights (2005)
- Derrick Bell, Silent Covenants: Brown v. Board of Education and the Unfulfilled Hopes for Racial Reform (2005)
- Leon Friedman (Editor), Brown v. Board of Education: The Landmark Oral Argument Before the Supreme Court
- Melba Patillo Beals, Warriors Don't Cry: A Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High School (2007)
- Charles Ogletree, All Deliberate Speed: Reflections on the First Half-Century of Brown v. Board of Education (2004)
- Beth Roy, Bitters in the Honey: Tales of Hope & Disappointment Across Divides of Race & Time (1999)
- Ruby Bridges, Through My Eyes (1999) (children's book)
- Davison Douglass, Jim Crow Moves North: The Battle Over Northern School Segregation 1865-1954 (2006)
- Rawn James Jr., Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall & the Struggle to End Segregation (2010)
- William Doyle, James Meredith & the Battle of Oxford, Mississippi 1962 (2003)
- Toni Morrison, Remember: The Journey to School Integration (2004)
- Bernard Schwartz, Swann's Way: The School Busing Case & the Supreme Court (1986)
- Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools (2012)
- John Charles Boger & Gary Orfield (Editors), School Resegregation: Must the South Turn Back? (2009)
Exclusive Excerpt from Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America, by Gilbert King, winner of the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction.